Gov. Janet Mills of Maine is attempting to capitalize on her moment in the national spotlight after she got into a public dust-up with President Donald Trump last week over her state’s defiance of his executive order demanding biological males who identify as transgender stay out of women’s sports.
The pair got into a verbal skirmish on Friday at the White House after Trump said the night prior that Maine would not receive any federal funding until it started taking action to prevent transgender women from competing on women’s sports teams.
“We’re going to follow the law, sir. We’ll see you in court,” Mills said after Trump asked if she would comply with his order. “Enjoy your life after governor, because I don’t think you’ll be an elected official afterward,” Trump shot back.
A Maine state representative confirmed to Fox News Digital that following the verbal skirmish on Friday, Mills began sending out mass fundraising texts to Maine residents that cited her altercation with Trump, which played out on national TV.
“Within six weeks [after Biden’s Title IX ruling] we had 11 federal lawsuits brought by 26 states, in addition to a handful of others – the Biden administration has lost every time,” Perry pointed out.
Perry added that besides the obvious risk of losing funding, these states also open themselves up to federal Title IX investigations, something she said could potentially force them to comply with Trump’s demands.
Fox News Digital attempted to reach out to the governor’s office for comment but did not hear back.
Leave a Reply